Sunday, January 2, 2011

Caramel Corn



My husband and I enjoy many movie nights at our house, he has our living room sounding and looking better than any theater. We have the full surround sound with a projector that my husband uses to put the movie on our wall; the screen size is about 96 inches. I love doing movies at our home for many reasons, to start with it is much cheaper to rent a blue ray movie for the theater quality picture and sound, it is just as good, if not better than any theater. Secondly, snacks are way less expensive at home, we consume a great deal of popcorn and who can afford the $15.00 for a soda and large tub of corn. For tonight's movie time I decided to make caramel corn, I have not made any in about 8 years. This recipe I am using came from someone my husband knows from work, her recipe and mine are the same except she uses the vanilla and her recipe uses light corn syrup but I prefer the color with the dark. I thought this would be a great new snack idea to ring in the first movie night of the New Year.


1 C. - Butter
2 C. - Brown Sugar
1/2 C. - Dark Corn Syrup (or light)
1 Tsp. - Salt
1/2 Tsp. - Baking Soda
1 Tsp. - Vanilla Extract (optional)
5 Q. - Popped Popcorn

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place the popped corn into a roasting pan (a toss out kind works well). In a large soup pot melt the butter over medium heat, stir in the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil and stir for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda, stir for about 30 seconds until the color changes and it gets fluffy. Pour the caramel over the popped corn and stir until well coated. Bake in the oven for 1 hour; bring out every 15 minutes to give it a good stir. Once the corn is done turn out onto wax paper or parchment paper to cool, once cooled break the large sections of corn into smaller pieces and enjoy.


Click here for Printable Recipe...

16 comments:

teresa said...

oh this looks great, i'd happy hunker down to a movie with a bowl of this!

Sonya said...

that looks sooo good. I think it would travel well..you could always ship some over to me to find out:P

Peggy said...

This sounds like a great caramel corn! And I definitely agree with you, movie nights at home are waaay better than the theater!

Medifast Coupon said...

What a great snack for anytime! This recipe is a keeper!

Biz said...

I agree - going out to the movies is so expensive - we just saw a movie with a gift card and the matinee price was $10!

Looks delicious!

nazarina said...

I remember my Dad's projector and our wonderful movie get togethers! So fun!
Your caramel corn is the perfect movie food! Happy new year and many movie nights together!

Caroline said...

I've been craving caramel corn for weeks! Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to try it!

Cheryl said...

I am going to have to try this. :-) Hope you and Ed are doing well. :-)

Leslie said...

YOu are always soooo kind to me with your comments on my blog! You are a sweetie

Katrina said...

What a great, yummy blog. Love caramel corn.
Thanks for stopping by mine a few days ago.

Jennifer said...

Pretty darn good stuff, thanks for sharing. I think it would be great with a dash of Cayanne!

Anonymous said...

yummo! thanks for sharing this...would love to have some to snack on right about now ;)

Kori said...

We love movie nights at home too! And popcorn is a must! Thanks for the idea of adding vanilla to caramel corn!

briarrose said...

Perfect snack for movie night. Looks delicious.

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour said...

What a classic! This looks fabulous! Thanks for the recipe. My family will appreciate it the next family movie night at home. Congrats on the top nine!

Shari from GoodFoodWeek said...

This looks so yummy. I'm a big fan of popcorn, but I always choose the salty/buttery kind. On another note, your photography is awesome - what did you do to get this shot?

Shari from www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

Dunkin Cooking the Semi-Homemade Way

StatCounter

link referral

We create a meal with some pre-made items then add our own twist to it. Some are family recipes some are whatever we throw together.